

For a mom with younger kids, getting dinner on the table is usually an adventure. I have tried different strategies- getting everyone busy doing something either in the kitchen or in some other room(my preference), so everything can get done. But if I haven't planned ahead I might just lock the upstairs gate and bribe them to watch Thomas and not come down. Last night Camille and Evan put themselves in charge of cutting vegetables for the salad. They were so excited to be helping. The best part was their conversation- it was priceless. This is how it evolved:First they just wanted to get the knives out to cut
then they were excited to put the veggies together for a salad
next, they got a serving tray and put the pieces on toothpicks for "samples".
Camille started talking to her TV audience about how to make her salad
(thanks to Food Network!)
then they wanted to serve us dinner at their restaurant.
Camille decided it should be our anniversary dinner (anniversary of what?)
and Dad should stay in his dress clothes from work.
I should dress up and put on my heels she had been playing in all day,
but then they remembered that they were hungry too.
So now everyone was included for dinner
and they needed to make a menu for what was being served.
They realized that there wasn't time to serve all the courses and they were just too hungry.
So we all ended up at the table together!

I have to thank Jarom for swinging Thomas though, I couldn't have finished without his help. Thomas did hang out with us for the first half hour. His "help" included- trying to stand on the dishwasher door and unload at least 20 times, sitting/standing/dancing on top of the table maybe 15 times, trying to "peel" everyone in the kitchen, touching the hot BBQ and throwing Ramon Soup packages around the house.
Never a dull moment, and I wouldn't trade being a mom for anything!







8 comments:
Your kids have quite the imagination! That is cute!
That sounds like quite the adventure! ...and we get to do it every day! I love it when they come up with their own brilliant ideas and are so serious about it. Your such a good mom, and your kids are all adorable.
That is such a cute story! So, did you wear the heels to dinner?
Hahaha lol. I feel so happy when I get my oldest kid involved making dinner but it wears me to pieces. I was able to imagine that all up very easily as it was explained. I loved the menu idea cute and the dress up I bet that was Camille?. It sounded somewhat familiar. Especially lil Thomas's part in the whole dinner rendevous. Except I only have two myself, so minus 2 kids. Man, Amy you are an amazing Head chef.You have promising sous chefs...hehee
what a beautiful family you have... how fun .. i know what you mean about "never a dull moment" kids they just never stop...
ahh...i love dinner helpers! sometimes yes i agree if they just stay away...no interuptions! how was ur burnt fish the other night?? :)
Hi Amy! It is so fun to see your blog. It's been way too long since we have seen you! Send me your e-mail address and I'll invite you to my blog. Talk to you soon. My e-mail is christi@christijensen.com
That is really awesome!! And what a fun idea!! Although my twinners are still young, I've been thinking about that and how to make making dinner/dinner fun. One idea that I just loved was laying a picnic blanket on the floor inside the house or outside if you have a good space and eating picnic style food or whatever really. I just thought that sounded like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing this! What a fun family!! :p)
Post a Comment