Thursday, October 2, 2008

Like Mother, Like Daughter...

A few weeks ago my mom and I got together and canned salsa. I do have some very talented members of my family that do this regularly, but this was the first time for me. I have to admit that it was easier than I thought. I think I had some preconcieved ideas about canning that scared me and kept me from trying. One thing I remember about my Grandma Rogers who passed away when I was 12yrs old, was that she was often in her kitchen, over the stove, canning. I remember her canning pomegranate jelly- to this day I have no idea how to get enough juice from pomegranates to be able to make jam. We loved her jam, bread and everything that came from her kitchen. So mom- what should we do next?
-
Being old enough to feel how devastating it was when grandma passed away, her death made a huge impact on my life, how much I appreciate my mother, and my testimony of Heavenly Father's plan for us. Some of my memories of going to grandma's include:
Chewable Orange vitamin Cs in the brown bottle
Family Parties- lots of family parties
Hawaiian Punch homemade ice cream- with Saltines on the side
the flowers along their front walkway
learning about Ranunculas
Ceramics
beautiful seamstress
spending the night at her house
playing Mystery Mansion
swing set in the backyard
hiding in her pantry
gardening
going next door to the Wilkins- to their trampoline
the back room with the pink shag carpet
encouraging us not to pierce our ears
quilting- playing under the quilt
being scared to go under the grapefruit tree
picking tangerines
she loved her grandchildren-made us all feel like we were the favorite
beautiful smile, contagious laugh
huge pinetree in the front yard

back row-my mom, Aunt Leslie, Grandma Rogers and Great Grandma Matthews

in front- baby Scott, Beth, me, baby Jocelyn, and Aunt Diane


6 comments:

Darla said...

Good for you for trying the canning thing. It feels very intimidating to me, too. I am sure your salsa is yummy!!! Your recollections of your grandma were fun. Thanks for sharing!

Jen said...

Loved the pictures of the salsa!! Way to go,trying something new. I bet it tastes GREAT! I would love the recipe. Mine turned out a little sweeter than I had hoped. It is still good though. There is nothing like homemade salsa. GREAT JOB AMY! Kudos! Jen

The Farmer's Wife said...

wonderful tribute and I too would like to know about the jelly...sounds amazing! Beautiful salsa

Tina ♥ said...

That salsa looks yummy! When can I come try it out? :) Good job! You looks so blond in your picture of you as a girl!

Beth said...

Amy - what a great way to remember Grandma. I wish I was there to can salsa with you. I loved the memories of Grandma you shared, I also have similar memories. Just the other day I was explaining to Grace how Grandma Rogers used to be able to pop her gum while she chewed it. I also continue to make peach shakes to this day and think of her while making them. We all will do well to turn out like our mothers, who are a reflection of their own wonderful mother.

Tuihalalalala said...

ooooh teach me teach me. I loved this blog and it was fuun seeing a picture of your family back in the daze. I think i know your Aunt Diane did she marry a Langford somewhat recently?